Thursday 14 January 2010

Final year in CCA for my bro

My 'brother' (a term I use for my ex-girlfriend's younger brother because we have always been pretty good friends and treat each other like elder-younger brother) is gonna be in the final year for his and my ex-CCA: Chess Club. Last Saturday, he invited me to come back to my secondary school and hold the CCA recruitment drive together.

Honestly speaking, I didn't really help much, except to give the impression of a loyal alumni who comes back to visit his previous CCA looool. My bro, on the other hand, was helping out to promote to parents about the CCA, something which I also did those few years back. I was Chess Club Chairman, and he is as well.

Regardless, it was still an interesting experience to go back to see all the newbies around wandering about the various CCAs and deciding what to pick. Obviously if I were still Chess Club chairman, I would psycho them to join :D On the other hand, as I look at them now, I could only tell them :"It does not matter what your parents think you should join, you should join only because of personal interest."

Back then, I joined Chess Club partially because I thought it's kinda slack, but also because I felt that was the only good thing I can do. I was turned down at choir's final tryouts, and also didn't really felt like doing any CCAs that takes up time. Hence the choice: Chess Club. However, after I had joined, my interest grew more as I had to keep up with the challenges faced within the club. I was essentially the weakest player right from the start. From there, I attempted to beat every person in my year (or you can say my peers) from my school, then picked up to beat my seniors. That sparkled a new interest in the club, so I was pretty fond of the club even though most of the time people would call it 'slack club'. Yeah, it's slack, but it's fun to rise up to the challenge. Eventually, on my 3rd year, I was picked as chairman for the last 2 years I'm in school.

As for the school, well I managed to talk to a few of my old teachers, such as Mdm Nora (was my music teacher but I know she is now an English teacher in addition), Mr Victor Foo ( he was my A Maths teacher, but surprisingly he was also in Australia last year for Wallaby). Even the drinks stall uncle remembers me lol, n offered me my past favourite from his stall: Green tea :D Another stall owner mistook me for a parent and called me a 'Sir' lol. That's all I have to say for now :)

No comments: