Monday 3 May 2010

Agincourt


Back in Germany, when I was about to return to Singapore, I had bought a book titled "Azincourt" by Bernard Cornwell. Personally, I had a brief idea of the battle of Agincourt beforehand, so I was attracted by the title.

When I had returned to Singapore, I played a game called Mount & Blade, with the Hundred Year War mod, and decided to recreate a similar battle. My video editor is kinda down, so I do not have a video for it. But I managed to capture some nice screenshots.

I had learnt about the battle at Agincourt when I was young and playing the Age of Empires 2:Conquerors Expansion. In short, it was a climatic battle between the English and the French during the early ages of the Hundred Years War. Henry V had led his army from England to make war with the French to seize the throne that was rightfully his by claim. He had made war believing that God would support the cause. In the beginning of his campaign, he had lost much just to besiege and attain Harfleur.


Understanding that he would not be seen as capable when he had sent a large army and had only gotten one town, he had continued his conquest, till they reached castle Agincourt (Azincourt for the French). Agincourt was a popular battle because at that time, Henry's army was severely outnumbered by French knights. However, the English's longbowmen had survived the odds and defeated an army probably 5 times larger than theirs (there have been many discussions about the numbers, but none are able to be proven with much evidence). It is a day of sadness for the French, for much of their nobility and their army were lost in that battle itself.


No comments: